Strathfield Girls High School

Quality education in a caring environment

Telephone02 9746 6990

International Students


CRICOS provider name: NSW Department of Education | CRICOS provider code: 00588M





Information for International Students

Australia's laws promote quality education and consumer protection for overseas students.

These laws are known as the ESOS framework and they include the Education Services for

Overseas Students (ESOS) Act 2000 and the National Code 2007.

For a summary of the ESOS framework see:

For information about student visa requirements refer to the Department of Home Affairs (DHA) website:

Contact the International Student Coordinator at your school if you have any concerns or questions about your school, personal issues or other problems. The Coordinator will assist you or refer you to the appropriate staff member. At Strathfield Girls High School the International Student Coordinator is Ms C Anderson.

The following regulations apply to your studies at a NSW government school:

Attendance and course requirements

  • You must attend a minimum of 80% of all scheduled classes. If you do not meet attendance requirements you may be reported to the Department of Home Affairs, unless there are compassionate or compelling circumstances (guidelines are provided below).

  • You must provide a doctor's certificate for any absences of 3 days or more. The doctor must be a registered medical practitioner. If you are absent for 1 or 2 days, a letter of explanation must be provided by your guardian or if you are over 18 years, you can provide your own written explanation.

  • You must meet course progress requirements. Your school will provide you with information about course requirements as outlined by the NSW Education Standards Authority (NESA). Further information about course requirements is available at

Accommodation and welfare arrangements

  • If you are under 18 years, you must maintain your approved accommodation, support and welfare arrangements. If these arrangements are approved by the NSW Department of Education, you must not change those arrangements without prior written approval. Requests to change the arrangements must be made in writing to the International Students Centre and signed by your parents.

  • If you want to change your homestay, you should contact the International Student Coordinator at your school.

  • NSW Department of Education recommends that students over 18 years old continue to live with relatives or homestay families. Changes to accommodation should be within reasonable travelling distance to your school.

  • Your parent or relative (approved guardian) must notify your school of your residential address within 7 days of arriving in Australia and notify any changes of address and contact details within 7 days. Students over 18 years who change address must also notify their school within 7 days.

Conditions of enrolment

  • You must adhere to school rules and the terms and conditions of enrolment as stated on the international student application form.
  • Your school may suspend or cancel your enrolment on grounds of misbehaviour. For further information about student behaviour and suspension and expulsion of students, refer to the international student coordinator at your school.
  • Travel during school holidays, other than returning to your home country, is only permitted if you are travelling with your guardian or relatives or on an approved school excursion. Written permission from your parents is required.
  • If you want to transfer to another government school you must provide a written request to your school signed by your parents or guardian.
  • If you want to change provider you must provide a written request to your school signed by your parents. For further information concerning visa regulations about change of provider refer to the DHA website and the coordinator at your school.

Taking leave

  • If you are going to be absent for a week or more during school term, your parents must request approval from the principal. You must not defer your start date or take extended leave without the principal's permission. Approval is only granted on compelling or compassionate grounds (guidelines below).

Complaints and Appeals

  • NSW Department of Education has a complaints and appeals process. If you wish to make a complaint or appeal a decision made concerning your enrolment, course progress or other decision, you should contact the international student coordinator at your school.


  • If you obtain Work Rights on your visa, you are able to work during holiday periods. Any part-time work during school term must not interfere with your school studies and must not exceed 10 hours per week.

For further information please refer to the International Students School Handbook, the International Students Coordinator at the school or the DE International website.